If you’re not a tech wizard, but are looking for the best VPN for Meziu phones, you’re on the right page. We’ll show you how to pick, install, and configure one of our top 5 recommended VPN providers in just a few painless minutes.
The Chinese consumer electronics company Meizu is massive in their home country of China. The company started out making MP3 players, but moved into the smartphone game in 2007 with the launch of the Meizu M8. Since then, each release of a new smartphone from the company has been greeted with great excitement and long lines to buy the new device across China and especially in technology-mad Hong Kong. Now you can also buy Meizu phones in Russia, Israel, Italy, Eastern Europe, and more, but the company is still not that well known outside of the Chinese market. These days, smartphones are Meizu’s core products, like the current generation M6, PRO 7, or MX6 phones.
One thing that confuses some customers about Meizu phones is their operating system. The phones use a system called Flyme which is based on Android. The company can’t use regular Android for their phones because of disagreements between Android’s owners, Google, and the Chinese government. Therefore, Meizu had to customise the Android system into Flyme before they were able to use it for their devices in China.
The good news is that if you’re looking for an app for your Meizu phone, such as a VPN, then you can install Android apps onto your device like any other Android phone. Today we’ll talk about why you might want a VPN for your phone, then we’ll share recommendations for the best VPNs for Meizu phones.
Why Use a VPN?
So, why would you want a VPN, or Virtual Private Network, for your phone? There are a number of reasons that a VPN can help make your life easier and safer:
- Get around restrictions such as The Great Firewall. China famously firewalls off a large chunk of the internet, severely limiting what sites can be accessed from inside the country. A VPN allows users to get around these restrictions to browse the internet freely, by connecting to a server in another country and using that point to access the internet from. This means that Chinese users with a VPN will be able to access websites like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube which are normally blocked in China.
- Bypass region locks. If you want to watch region-locked content such as the BBC iPlayer (only available in the UK) or the videos on Comedy Central (only available in the US) from outside of their target regions, then you need a VPN. You can use the VPN software to connect to a server in any country you want, and then access websites using that server. This means you can easily watch US-only, UK-only, or other region-locked content from anywhere in the world.
- Protect your privacy. When you use an unsecured internet connection at home, your ISP is able to track every single web site you visit and every file that you download, and they can pass this information on to law enforcement or government agencies if required. In order to keep your web use private, you should use a VPN which encrypts all of your data before sending it over the internet so that your ISP can’t read it.
- Enhance your security. When you connect your phone to a public Wi-Fi network like the ones you find in coffee shops or airports, it is possible that other users on the network will be able to hack your device. In order to prevent your personal data like your emails, passwords, or credit card details from being stolen, you should use a VPN.
How to Pick a VPN
When it comes to choosing a VPN for your phone, you’ll find that there are hundreds of VPN providers out there. That’s why we’ve put together our list of recommended VPNs below, based on the factors which are most important to keep you safe and improve the functionality of your device:
- Lots of servers in many different countries. This means that you have lots of options for which server to connect to, so that you can easily get around restrictions and other region locks.
- Strong security. To keep the personal data on your phone safe from hackers and other snoopers, we look for VPNs with strong encryption plus a no-logging policy which means that your internet history and usage won’t be recorded.
- Support for different operating systems. You need a VPN which supports Android to install it on to your Meizu phone, but if you’re getting a VPN then you can use the same service for your other devices too. That’s why we like to see software support for a variety of platforms.
- Fast connection speeds. You don’t want a VPN which will slow your phone right down and be a pain to use. We look for the VPNs with the fastest connections so you can browse and download safely without lag.
The Best VPN Providers for Meizu Phone Owners
When we considered all of these factors to find the perfect VPN for Meizu users, here are the recommendations that we came up with:
One of the most popular VPNs for power users is ExpressVPN. When you want the absolute fastest connections with maximum flexibility, ExpressVPN is a great choice. In terms of security, ExpressVPN uses 256-bit encryption which will keep all of your data private and secure. The company has a great no-logging policy so you can be sure that your data will never be handed over to another company or organisation.
The server network that you get access to is massive, with over 3,000 servers in 140+ locations in 94 different countries. This gives you no end of options of servers to connect to, so you’ll always be able to get around region locks when you need to. And good news for users in China – ExpressVPN works within China, so if you install it onto your Meizu phone then you’ll be able to browse freely.
You can use the ExpressVPN Android app on your Meizu phone, and there is also software support for different platforms including both new and older versions of Windows (Windows RT, Windows XP, Widows Vista, and Windows 7, 8, and 10), plus support for Mac OS, Linux, iOS, and Blackberry. There are also browser extensions available for the Chrome, Safari, and Firefox browsers which are super easy to use.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Amazon Prime
- Super fast, reliable connection
- AES-256 encryption
- No logging policy well enforced
- Great customer service via chat.
- Month-to-month plan has high cost.
If security is your number-one concern, then you should look into NordVPN. This service uses extra-strong double encryption which keeps your data as safe as possible. This double encryption also means that the service can be used in China, despite the VPN blocking technology which is sometimes used by the Chinese government. So if you want to use your Meizu phone in China and you want to browse the internet without restrictions, this service will let you do exactly that.
The NordVPN company provides software for Android which can be installed onto your Meizu phone, plus software for other operating systems like Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, 8, and 10 as well as Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Chrome OS, and Windows Phone. So you’ll be able to secure all of your other devices with this service in addition to your phone.
The server network is generous, offering 5,700+ servers in over 60 different countries so it’s easy to get around region locks. The company also has a no logging policy to maintain your privacy, and overall the service is a great value option.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3-year plan (75% off – link below)
- Mind-boggling number of servers
- Allows up to 6 devices to be connected at once
- Based in Panama
- Great support (24/7 chat).
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
If you want the simplest possible way to use a VPN, plus a whole bundle of security software to keep your device safe, then we recommend PureVPN. This company offers a security suite that includes bonus tools like ad-blocking software, malware protection, anti-virus software, and web filtering as well as a VPN. It’s a great all-in-one solution for those who want to secure the phones or devices of their children or other less tech-savvy family members.
The PureVPN connections use strong AES 256-bit encryption, and the network gives you access to more than 2,000+ servers located in more than 140 different countries. The company uses advanced protocols for data encryption which means that the service does work within China too.
Read our full PureVPN review.
When you want a VPN which is one of the fastest and most reliable out there, then you should look into IPVanish. It has lightning-fast connection speeds which make using the internet securely feel like a pleasure. The security is strong, with 256-bit encryption which will keep your data safe and a no logging policy so your internet history won’t be made available to any other parties.
IPVanish has an Android app which you can install onto your Meizu phone, plus software for other operating systems including Windows 7, 8, and 10, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android, Fire TV, Windows Phone, and Chromebook.
The company has 1,300+ servers in more than 75 countries, so it’s great for getting around region locks. However, please note that IPVanish does not currently work within China. So although it is a fine choice of VPN for Meizu users in Russia, Israel, or Europe, users based in China should use one of the other VPNs recommended on this list.
Read our full IPVanish review.
If you want to protect your privacy at all costs and you’re looking for a VPN which takes privacy as seriously as you do, then we recommend that you look into VyprVPN. If you are concerned about your internet activity being observed by the government, then this service can help to shield you.
VyprVPN’s greatest strength is their exceptional Chameleon protocol which double encrypts all of your data. As well as the usual encryption of data, the protocol encrypts the metadata too–that is, information about the data such as the origin and destination of the data packets. This means that you have top-notch protection and that you can get around VPN blocks like those used for The Great Firewall.
As well as an Android app that you can install on your Meizu phone, the software can be installed on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, TV and your router. The service will give you access to more than 700 servers in 70+ different countries, and of course there’s a no logging policy too.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
Don’t Risk Using a Free VPN
When you’re looking for a VPN, you might come across one of the many free VPNs available on the Play Store and be tempted to use one of these in order to save money. However, we strongly recommend against this. Some free VPN companies are very unscrupulous, and have been found to use predatory practices. For example, free VPNs have been found to inject ads into web browsers, to sell off their users’ data to third parties, and even to fail to encrypt users’ data at all.
This is particularly a problem with the Android VPNs that you would use for your Meizu device. A study of VPNs available on the Android store came out at the start of this year and found that many VPNs were deficient of some way or even downright dangerous. For this reason, we recommend that you use one of the VPNs above for your Meizu device as they are reputable companies whom you can trust to take care of your data.
STILL WANT A FREE VPN? Check out our guide on the most reputable free VPNs.
Using a VPN is good security practice for everyone, and it’s especially helpful for users who are based in China and who want to get around government restrictions on the internet. Those who have a Meizu phone can install apps from the Android Google Play Store, and we recommend any of the five VPNs listed above.
Which is your favourite VPN for Meizu? Let us know in the comments below!